The city of Graz awards the "Writer of the City of Graz" scholarship each year.
It includes the provision of an apartment for free in the Cerrini-Schloessl on the Schlossberg, from September 1st of the year of awarding until August 31st of the following year, and a monthly allowance of EURO 1.300.
The Kulturvermittlung Steiermark will supervise the guest in consultation with the City of Graz-Department for Cultural Affairs. The intention is to promote writers who show innovative ability and examination of current subject matters, quality in aesthetic and linguistic terms, authenticity and artistic independence.
The residence in Graz should contribute to cultural exchange and interaction with the local literature scene. The scholarship holders explicitly agree to stay in Graz for at least 8 months during this period. Writers who already have been "Writers of the City of Graz" in the past cannot apply again for this scholarship. The submission deliberately does not provide any regional restrictions for the applicants, in order to make intercultural discourse between European and non-European writers possible. However, intercultural exchange is an indispensable approach for awarding the scholarship.
• cultural interest in and linguistic affinity to Graz
• basic German language ability
• at least one autonomous literary publication (no private publishing); five published texts in magazines or anthologies; or two already broadcast or published radio plays; or one stage play already performed at a theatre or published
• cooperativeness for a dialog between literature and the local urban environment
• cooperativeness for participation in readings, lectures at schools, discussions etc. arranged by the City of Graz-Department for Cultural Affairs or the Kulturvermittlung Steiermark, in order to connect with the public and the cultural scene in Graz
• working out a proposal for a specific project, which shall be realised during the duration of the stay.
Deadline to apply
31st March 2023
Download guidelines here.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com
For more info visit kultur.graz.at/kulturamt/33
For further questions please contact Mr. Christian Mayer at the Cultural Office Graz:
Any applications related to this entity, will also be automatically deleted.