The Front of House will report directly to the Gallery Manager and/or Artistic Director and manage in the day-to-day running of the art gallery and retail gallery shop.
Their job will also liaise with the Personal Assistant of the General Manager.
This includes general gallery duties and three main objectives: sales, marketing & communications which could also include fundraising initiatives.
Interest & willingness to learn will be included as an asset for your application.
An enthusiasm for contemporary visual art would be a plus.
- Being responsible for opening and closing the gallery at the opening and closing times.
- Greeting customers, clients, visitors, guests, who enter the gallery and shop.
- Manages the shop reception desk providing certain administrative duties including, manage written correspondence, research, evaluation, schedules, managing office supplies, filling in forms, answering phone calls, set up or confirm appointments, event schedules with artists, vendors, clients or visitors.
- Provides information to visitors about the exhibitions and education program.
- Operate in-house audio-visual equipment on a day to day basis.
- Upkeeping VC gallery shop & main entrance
- Assists when necessary with the running of other events at the VC Gallery.
Marketing & Communications
- Maintain online social media presence on platforms such as Facebook & Instagram for VC and gallery shop accounts.
- Build VC’s brand awareness through various media outlets, plan sales and advertising campaigns, collect and analyze market research data, identifying potential markets, work within various multimedia outlets to promote a product, etc.
- The duties and responsibilities of a salesperson include meeting sales goals, creating business relationships, remaining consistent and maintaining a keen awareness of the client’s needs.
- As a gallery shop salesperson you are encouraged to manage point-of-sale processes, be responsible for processing cash and card payments, stock-taking, attaching price tags to merchandise, balancing cash register, inform customers about discounts and special offers, maintain records related to sales, visitor counting, display arrangement, handling of cash, security and banking.
- Processing paperwork related to sales of artworks on behalf of the VC gallery. Issuing invoices and receipts relating to sales from the gallery shop or VC gallery.
- Management of VC Membership Schemes & events related to the members.
- Upload/archival of information such as invoices, receipts, staff minutes, membership scheme, donation scheme, links to online articles about VC.
- Involvement with funding procedures.
- Researching potential donors and sponsors. Suggest fundraising opportunities for the META Foundation and Valletta Contemporary & upkeeping relationships with contributors.
- Tuesdays to Saturdays from 11.30am to 7.00pm. Mondays and Sundays closed.
- During opening nights of exhibitions and other events, you will also be required to attend evening receptions from 7.00pm until latest 11.00pm and occasionally asked to participate in the installing and de-installing of an exhibition, including any meetings outside working hours.
- Driven, ambitious, helpful and motivated personality encouraged
- Interest and flair for retail and sales is essential
- Understanding of sales principles and customer service practices
- Excellent communication skills, good team worker, ability to lead and motivate a team
- Excellent in organizational ability and prioritization of task handling
- Bachelor's degree (Example: Art History, Digital Arts) or related job experience in related areas would be equally considered. Other degrees such as arts management, business studies, marketing and sales, would be equally considered as well.
- Open-minded, detail-oriented, self-motivated, highly educated and punctual is most essential.
- Strong and clear written & oral communication is primarily in English and preferably Maltese.
Other spoken languages will be a plus.
- Aptitude/interest in Marketing on Social Media and online communications is a must.
- Friendly, helpful, confident and engaging personality with a client relation focus.
- Good word processing and desktop computer skills, email and internet.
- Software skills: photo editing, Adobe Creative Suite and more would be a plus.
To apply please email a motivation letter and curriculum vitae addressed to Norbert Francis Attard, firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, 23rd July 2019, 6 pm.
Interviews for shortlisted candidates will be held Saturday, 27th July 2019.
Please note, we are unable to give feedback on individual applications.
The position of Front of House – Sales, Marketing & Communications is expected to commence preferably on 1st August 2019.