Choir Master (Artistic Director) within Arts Council Malta
- Choir Master (Artistic Director) within Arts Council Malta: A one-year contract for service of Euro15,000.
Overall Purpose of the Job
To direct artistically Kor Malta – Malta’s National Choir enabling it to perform to the highest international standard.
The work of the Choir Master (Artistic Director) includes, but is not limited to, leading rehearsals, and performances, where needed and leading performances, concerts, tours, and any recording work.
- Candidates must be in possession of a recognized qualification at MQF Level 7 in Choral Conducting and Choral Composition
- a recognized qualification at MQF Level 6 in Orchestra Conducting.
And must have
- a Grade 8 as a Pianist / accompanist
- Specific studies in Counterpoint to a high standard (MQF Level 5), experience of playing for professional Chorus preparation and rehearsal, An excellent knowledge of the Choral repertoire, experience of choral and opera chorus conducting, and
- An understanding of the working practices of a major theatre will be considered an asset.
- Prepare and conduct the Chorus musically and linguistically including the teaching from scratch to the point of memorisation.
- Ongoing evaluation of the performance of Choristers.
- Encourage the best possible standards of performance from the Chorus.
- Liaise with the Concert Conductor and chorus Coordinator.
- Observe stage rehearsals and assist the Conductor in all aspects of the production involving the Chorus.
- Attend Chorus performances, including tours and extra curricular activities (recordings and concerts) as required.
- Off-stage conducting.
- Be prepared to substitute Orchestra Conductor if needed.
- Liaise with Music Library concerning the preparation of chorus.
- Provide to choristers a good vocal technique and voice training.
- Organize masterclasses in order to develop the study of a specific repertoire involving international renowned singers and conductors.
- The ability to undertake musical preparation work in major European languages.
- Work as a répétiteur for Kor Malta, if necessary. For example, playing for principal auditions, performing stage duties and coaching principal Undertake pit work if necessary.
- Organise music calls and ensure schedules allow sufficient preparation to meet required deadlines.
- Support the Chorus Coordinator in the management of the Chorus.
- In conjunction with the Chorus Coordinator audition and recruit Chorus/Extra.
- Continually seek to develop and improve working practices and systems.
- Build an effective team providing support, supervision and motivation and as far as possible ensure high morale.
- Encourage the development of the Chorus and their artistic skills, assessing and recommending training as appropriate.
- Contribute to work of the Development Department and audience engagement objectives by contributing to Insight events and other Learning and Participation projects including ‘sing-alongs’ and community work.
- Promote the interests of the Kor Malta in the country and overseas by keeping abreast of the choral world, building and maintaining networks.
- Provides overall artistic leadership, vision, and direction to KorMalta.
- Attracts, recruits, inspires, and retains a diverse group of singers.
- Determines singer eligibility to perform in concerts based on the Artistic Director's rehearsal attendance policy.
- Recommends guest artists for each season, with the approval of the Board. Provides guidance and oversight to guest artist.
- Demonstrates ongoing commitment to professional development as a musician.
- Before the final concert of each season, researches and selects a comprehensive concert plan for the coming season and presents to the Board for approval.
Communication and People Skills
- Able to maintain good working relations with people at all levels.
- Able to work autonomously with a demonstrated capacity for effective teamwork and harmonious working relationships at all levels.
- Ability to respond in a positive way to feedback and direction.
- The self-confidence to present in front of a group.
- Flexibility to be available for scheduled music calls and rehearsals, including weekends as required The highest standards of attendance, reliability and professionalism across all aspects of the work.
Interested candidates are required to send a letter of application together with a CV and necessary certificates to: The Chairman, Arts Council Malta, Casa Scaglia 16, Mikiel Anton Vassalli Street, Valletta VLT 1311 by not later than November 1, 2018.
Short-listed candidates will be asked to sit for an interview.