Choir Master (Artistic Director) within Arts Council Malta: A three (3) year contract for service of € 25,000 exc VAT per annum (€75,000 exc VAT for a three-year contract)
Overall Purpose of the job:
To direct artistically, KorMalta – Malta`s National Choir, enabling it to perform to the highest international standard.
The work of the Choir Master (Artistic Director) includes, but is not limited to, leading rehearsals where needed, and leading performances, concerts, tours, and any recording work.
Candidates must be in possession of a recognized qualification at MQF Level 7 in Choral Conducting and Choral Composition.
a recognized qualification at MQF Level 6 in Orchestra Conducting
And must have
a Grade 8 as a pianist/accompanist
Specific studies in Counterpoint to a high standard (MQF Level 5), the experience of playing for professional chorus preparation and rehearsal, excellent knowledge of the choral repertoire, the experience of choral and opera chorus conducting, an understanding of the working practices of a major theatre will be considered an asset.
- Prepare and conduct the Chorus musically and linguistically including the teaching from scratch to the point of memorization.
- Ongoing evaluation of the performance of choristers.
- Encourage the best possible standards of performance from the Chorus.
- Liaise with the Concert Conductor and chorus Coordinator.
- Observe stage rehearsals and assist the Conductor in all aspects of the production involving the Chorus.
- Attend Chorus performances, including tours and extra-curricular activities (recordings and concerts) as required.
- Off-stage conducting.
- Be prepared to substitute Orchestra Conductor if needed.
- Liaise with Music Library concerning the preparation of chorus scores.
- Provide to choristers a good vocal technique and voice training.
- Organise masterclasses in order to develop the study of a specific repertoire involving internationally renowned singers and conductors.
- The ability to undertake musical preparation work in major European languages.
- Work as a répétiteur for Kor Malta if necessary. For example, playing for principal auditions, performing stage duties, and coaching principal artists. Undertake pit work if necessary.
- Organise music calls and ensure schedules, allow sufficient preparation to meet required deadlines.
- Support the Chorus Coordinator in the management of the Chorus.
- In conjunction with the Chorus Coordinator audition and recruit chorus/extra chorus.
- Continually seek to develop and improve working practices and systems.
- Build an effective team providing support, supervision, and motivation, and as far as possible ensure high morale.
- Encourage the development of the Chorus and their artistic skills, assessing and recommending training as appropriate.
- Contribute to work of the Development Department and audience engagement objectives by contributing to insight events and other learning and participation projects including ‘sing-alongs’ and community work.
- Promote the interests of Kor Malta in the country and overseas by keeping abreast of the choral world, building and maintaining networks.
- Provides overall artistic leadership, vision, and direction to Kor Malta;
- Attracts, recruits, inspires, and retains a diverse group of singers;
- Determines singer eligibility to perform in concerts based on the artistic Director`s rehearsal attendance policy;
- Recommends guest artists for each season, with the approval of the Board. Provides guidance and oversight to the guest artist;
- Demonstrates ongoing commitment to professional development as a musician;
- Before the final concert of each season, researches and a comprehensive concert plan for the coming season and presents to the Board for approval.
Communication and People Skills
- Able to maintain good working relations with people at all levels;
- Able to work autonomously with a demonstrated capacity for effective teamwork and harmonious working relationships at all levels;
- Ability to respond in a positive way to feedback and direction;
- The self-confidence to present in front of a group;
- Flexibility to be available for scheduled music calls and rehearsals, including weekends as required; the highest standards of attendance, reliability, and professionalism across all aspects of the work.
The Choir Master will be required to live on the Maltese Islands for the duration of the contract. korMalta is not able to cover any relocation costs that may be required. Working hours are an average of 40 hours per week with some flexibility, established on mutual agreement with the Agency Administrator. The Post of Artistic Director is subject to a probationary period of 12 months, with a review by ACM’s Exec Chair after 6 months.
To Apply, please supply:
- a CV
- a covering letter max 2 pages A4 explaining how your skills and experience match the requirements of this role,
- a portfolio of work from the last 3 years (including links to a max of 3 works not longer than 30mins each),
- the name and email addresses of three referees, one of them being the current or most recent employer or client
Applications are to be sent to the;
Arts Council Malta
TG Complex, Level 1
Applicants will be shortlisted by the panel members following the application deadline on the 4 December at 12:00 noon (GMT+2)
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted on the 8 December and will be expected to:
- Attend an online interview on Zoom to present their vision and strategy followed by questions from the panel.
Unfortunately, due to time restrictions, KorMalta is not in a position to give feedback to candidates who are not shortlisted.
Due to Visa issues, this call is open to European Union and British citizens only.