KorMalta – an Arts Council Malta initiative is looking for professionals to take on the role of Voice Leaders as part of the National Choir.
Voice Leaders are needed for the overall improvement of the choir, to help the choir attain a higher level of choral singing. The chosen Voice Leaders need to provide their services for a period of one year during the 2019 / 2020 Artistic Season. The below is a list of requirements for this call:
The Voice Leader shall:
- Attend KorMalta’s rehearsals and concerts as section leader in the choir.
- Sing as a Soloist in the choir when it is artistically needed.
- Participate in all teaching sessions and masterclasses, as listed on the choir’s calendar
- Participate in the admissions process as an audition panelist for KorMalta on all audition days
- Coordinate with KorMalta’s Artistic Director and Choir Administrator, on programming and scheduling rehearsals
- Cover practice hours sessions.
The Voice Leader shall:
- Teach according to schedule created by Artistic Director and Choir Administrator
- Sing and coach choristers during sectionals and Tutti Rehearsals
- Run rehearsals with individual choristers, small groups, in agreement with AD and CA
- Coordinate with Chorus Master in choosing appropriate repertoire
Necessary Qualifications & Conduct:
The Voice Leader must:
- Hold a Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Vocal Music or Music Performance or related
- Possess proven expertise in vocal coaching and vocal technique.
- Possess proven expertise in teaching Music Theory
- Possess knowledge of commonly-sung languages
- Possess Sight reading skills
- Have staged performance experience as Soloist and as a Chorister
- Possess a knowledge of performance practices for repertoire of varied historical time periods (Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Contemporary, Musical Theater, Opera)
- Possess knowledge of a wide variety of musical styles and approaches
- Arrive on time each day
- Communicate clearly and maintains organisation
The audition for voice leaders to join KorMalta will be structured as follows:
- Singing an aria of choice from each of the following musical eras/genres:
Romantic (sacred or profane)
Baroque – Sacred
- Sight reading
- Singing the compulsory piece – Kyrie from Palestrina’s Missa Brevis (this will be sent to the applicants upon application)
- Interview regarding teaching techniques
Successful candidates will be given a contract for service with Arts Council Malta, valid for 1 year. Remuneration for voice leaders (singing and teaching) will be €40 per session, where each session is of an average length of 2 hours.
Applications are to be sent by email on firstname.lastname@example.org. Qualifications are to be presented at the audition.
Closing Date: 12th July at noon.